Monday, July 25, 2011

Amy Winehouse

Let's talk about Amy not because I really want to but because she happens to be the topic that NAMI threw at me this morning.  For those that don't know NAMI is the National Association for Mental Illness.  There was an article written this morning about Amy in the Washington Post stating that she had been diagnosed with manic depression (bi-polar) which led to her death.  She was doing what many of us bi-polars do self-medicate.  She was using pills and booze to make herself feel better.  She was told to go to re-hab and she wouldn't.  Well, the end finally came.  She took to many pills and drank too much booze and she didn't wake up.  There are approximately 3 million people in the US that have bi-polar and a lot of those are artistic.  Out of those 1 in 5 will commit suicide.  More than half of those may not actually perform the deed but will have at least tried once or twice.  This one I know from experience.  There are many drugs out there but many sufferers prefer to self-medicate as I said before so that it does not dull the senses.  The drugs don't allow your personality to shine through as low or as high as you would like it to.  I've been told I can be stone cold faced.  I can't cry when I want to, it's there but it just won't happen.  I sit in a haze.  With singers such as Winehouse, Cobaine, Joplin, and Hendrix, who were all 27 when they committed suicide they could never find the peace they needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment